This 4 week course is for sewists who want to explore garment construction, and fit through pant making.
This is a technical deep dive where you learn all about proper fit for pants and make a muslin. There will be homework! You may not get to make a pair of wearable pants in the class, however you will most likely leave with a properly fitted pant pattern. You choose the pants pattern and Tanya King will help you fit and sew!
Skill Level: Intermediate - Advanced
(NOT FOR BEGINNERS OR ADVANCED BEGINNERS)
(This class is quite technical and we want to ensure that students don't struggle unnecessarily. If you're unsure if this class is right for you, please contact Tanya at firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Experience successfully completing many garment sewing projects.
- For apparel making classes: you must have familiarity with using a sewing pattern, measuring oneself and picking a size.
In this workshop you will learn:
- How to measure yourself for pants using a pant measurement chart
- How to understand and fit pant patterns
- Learning sewing techniques that are specific to pant making
- Learn how to transfer changes on your muslin to your pattern
- How to tru a pattern properly
- Different types of waistbands and facings
- Zipper installation (regular or invisible)
- Hemming and finishing techniques
- Pattern. We have a diverse range of pant patterns available to suit many styles and body shapes. We have a recommended list of patterns here but if you already own your dream pants pattern, please send us a link before the workshop just so we can make sure the pattern will suit your sewing level. We recommend choosing a style that you're likely to make more than once so that it's truly worth all of the work!! If you need some help in choosing the right pattern, please don't hesitate to reach out by phone, email or come by the shop.
- Muslin fabric for your mock up
- Tracing paper or cloth
*** Please note that sewing jeans is only an option for more experienced sewists and if you choose this option, you must have time to sew at home in-between classes as there will be some extra work involved! ***
We offer a 20% student discount on all your supplies for this workshop! You will be sent a code to use online once you've registered for your class!
Equipment requirements: We highly encourage you to bring your own sewing machine, however if you don't own a machine, one will be provided for you. If you’d like to bring your home machine, please remember to bring the manual (and foot pedal/power cord) and arrive 10 minutes prior to the scheduled time.
Group size: Maximum 6 guests to keep our classes cozy and fun!