Stitch by Stitch - Summer Camp for beginners ages 11-16. This program gets your pre-teen/teen started in sewing with the basics. Each day will involve review in order for them to solidify what they have learned. They get to choose fun projects to build their skills on. Then finishing the camp having made a simple basic garment.
Skill requirements: Stitch by Stitch is geared towards total beginners. No previous experience necessary!
Material requirements: Some materials are provided, however if your maker would like to bring along any of their own supplies, you are most welcome. We offer a 20% student discount on all your supplies or tools purchased for home use during the course of this program.
- Introduction of the sewing machine/ threading and making bobbins
- Cutting tutorial/safety (scissors and rotary cutter)
- Choosing fabrics for first project and learning fabric basics
- Design your own cushion cover, tote bag or fabric box (great for storing your fabric at home in)
- Review of the sewing machine/ threading etc.
- Continue/finish project from day 1.
- Basics review (if feeling good about basics, may continue project)
- Finish project from day 1 and 2.
- Start applique zipper pencil case, or backpack.
- Design and cut out your first simple garment project: Basic skirt, pajama pant, or simple woven top.
- Share 3 things that you remember about sewing/machine/fabric basics.
- Finish garment from day 4.
**Projects can be different from discussed above. If your pre-teen/teen would like to make something different, please contact us to discuss with us other options that are suitable.
Equipment requirements: We highly encourage you to bring your own sewing machine, however if you don't own a machine, one will be provided for you. If you’d like to bring your home machine, please remember to bring the manual (and foot pedal/power cord).
Group size: Maximum 6
Snacks & Refreshments: We encourage you to send snacks and refreshments as it’s much easier to be creative when you have fuel for the brain!