This new 4-week course is for those sewists who want to expand their skills by making a raincoat using the Kelly Anorak by Closet Core Patterns. You will learn construction and finishing techniques that are specific to working with technical waterproof/repellant fabric. You will have an opportunity to choose different lengths and minor pattern changes to suite your style and body shape.
Skill Level: Intermediate - Advanced
(This class is quite technical and we want to ensure that students don't struggle unnecessarily. If you're unsure if this class is right for you, please contact Tanya at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Other Intermediate classes or equivalent
- Familiar with working with different types of fabric and patterns
- **MUST HAVE PATTERN TRACED OUT IN YOUR SIZE FOR THE FIRST CLASS**
In this workshop you will learn:
- How to prepare and adjust your pattern for desired length and version
- How to cut and work with technical fabric
- How to color block (If you wish to use two different fabrics)
- Best finishing techniques for technical fabric waterproof/repellant fabric
- How to effectively apply bias binding
- How to apply zippers and create buttonholes in technical fabric
- **OPTIONAL how to create and add lining
We have partnered with Discovery Fabrics for this class. They have graciously offered a 15% discount for our students. A discount code will be sent you once you have registered with us.
**Please be advised that Discovery Fabrics only sell fabrics in full increments of one yard. You may have to round up for your fabric amount. Their fabrics are of different widths, so check the width of the colour you chose to make sure you buying the right amount.
***Discovery Fabrics is an online only store based out of the Comox area, so you will need order your fabric well in advance so it is shipped to you in time.
We recommend the following fabric options to make this coat:
Option 1 - If you have never worked with technical fabric before:
Option 2 - If you have some experience with technical fabric:
**We highly recommend that you choose a fabric that has no stretch for this coat.
OTHER FABRICS AND NOTIONS NEEDED:
- Kelly Anorak Pattern (The printed pattern comes in sizes 0-20. If you require sizes 14-32, you can order the PDF here: https://closetcorepatterns.com/collections/sewing-patterns-all/products/kelly-anorak-jacket-pattern?_pos=6&_fid=44a87095b&_ss=c&variant=40007487389830)
- Lining fabric **OPTIONAL Cotton sateen, rayon, or 2 way stretch stable knit
- Kelly Anorak Hardware Kit, which will have available for your to purchase before or during the class.
- Polyester thread
- Iron-on Interfacing
- Bias tape (seam finishing, if you are not lining your jacket)
- Microtex needles (multi size pack)
- 80 universal needles
(We offer a 20% student discount on this supplies You will be sent a code to use online after registering for the class)
We highly encourage you to bring your own sewing machine. Please remember to bring the manual (and foot pedal/power cord) and arrive 10 minutes prior to the scheduled time.
Tea will be served during class. We recommend bring snacks to keep yourself fuelled!
Group size: Maximum 5 guests to keep our classes cozy and fun!