This 4 week course is for intermediate sewists who want to further explore garment construction and finishing techniques. Challenge yourself by choosing a pattern with at least three new sewing challenges!
Skill Level: Intermediate
- Advanced Beginner classes plus several completed items.
- Experience successfully completing several sewing projects. This class will not cover basic sewing machine operations such as threading a needle, switching needles, how to adjust stitch length, locking stitches, reverse stitching, pivoting corners, winding bobbins etc. Students should be capable of performing these procedures without assistance.
- For apparel making classes: you must have familiarity with using a sewing pattern, measuring oneself and picking a size.
In this workshop you will learn:
- How to better read and understand sewing patterns
- Straight grain and bias cutting
- Marking, sewing darts, pleats and gathers
- Setting in sleeves
- Collars, button stands, plackets and cuffs
- Applying bias binding and facings
- Zipper installation (regular and invisible)
- Hemming and finishing techniques
What We Provide:
Equipment: sewing machines and all tools
What You Provide:
- Fabric: you are responsible for providing fabric for your project. Fabric can be purchased from us. We offer a 20% student discount on all your supplies or tools purchased in preparation for or on the day of your class!
- Intermediate level pattern, that has at least 3 elements you have not done before.
Please feel free to come by and chat with us about your garment goals. We have lots of pattern options in-store and you can also bring one from home.
** You will need to bring your pre-washed fabric for the first session as we will be cutting!
- Sewing machine (optional): we highly encourage you to bring their own sewing machine, if they have one. Don't forget to pack the manual, foot pedal & power cord!
Group size: Maximum 6 students