This 4 week course is for intermediate sewists who want to further explore garment construction and finishing techniques. Challenge yourself by choosing a pattern with at least three new sewing challenges!
Skill Level: Intermediate
- Advanced Beginner classes plus several completed items.
- Experience successfully completing several sewing projects. This class will not cover basic sewing machine operations such as threading a needle, switching needles, how to adjust stitch length, locking stitches, reverse stitching, pivoting corners, winding bobbins etc. Students should be capable of performing these procedures without assistance.
- For apparel making classes: you must have familiarity with using a sewing pattern, measuring oneself and picking a size.
In this workshop you will learn:
- How to better read and understand sewing patterns
- Straight grain and bias cutting
- Marking, sewing darts, pleats and gathers
- Setting in sleeves
- Collars, button stands, plackets and cuffs
- Applying bias binding and facings
- Zipper installation (regular and invisible)
- Hemming and finishing techniques
We will consult with you about your pattern choice and fabric requirements prior to the course beginning to make sure you're fully equipped! Please feel free to come by and chat with us about your garment goals. We have lots of pattern options in-store and you can also bring one from home.
We offer a 20% student discount on all your supplies for this workshop! You will be sent a code to use online once you've registered for your class!
Please note that you will need to bring your pre-washed fabric for the first session as we will be cutting!
Equipment requirements: We highly encourage you to bring your own sewing machine, however if you don't own a machine, one will be provided for you. If you’d like to bring your home machine, please remember to bring the manual (and foot pedal/power cord) and arrive 10 minutes prior to the scheduled time.
Group size: Maximum 5 guests to keep our classes cozy and fun!