Sew your own Dominique skirt - the ideal project for a novice stitcher or a satisfying one hour make for more experienced dressmakers.
We designed the straight skirt to be super simple for beginners. It features straight seams to practise your stitching and an elasticated waistband for an easy fit - with no fiddly zips or buttonholes! Choose from knee length or above-the-knee hemline, and add the optional turnover top patch pockets.
The flared version of the skirt is slightly more challenging, as it's cut on the bias and we suggest a drapier fabric for a flowing silhouette. Choose from knee length or on-trend midi hemline, with optional turnover top pockets, belt loops and elegant sash.
Like all Tilly and the Buttons sewing patterns, Dominique includes instructions in plain English, helpful sewing tips, and colour photos showing you each step – making it easy for you to create gorgeous clothes you can be proud to say you made yourself.
PRINTED PATTERN - This gorgeous printed package contains full-scale pattern sheets and a colour instruction booklet.
SKILL LEVEL - Beginners
- Straight skirt – Medium-weight woven fabrics, such as cotton, chambray, double gauze, linen, lighter weight denim and needlecord.
- Flared skirt – Light- to medium-weight drapey fabrics, such as cotton lawn, chambray, viscose (rayon), silk or polyester crêpe de chine. Avoid anything slippery if you’re a beginner!
- Fabric - Straight skirt with pockets: 1.1m (1 ¼ yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR 1.5m (1 5/8 yards) x 115cm (45in) wide; Flared midi skirt with sash:2.5m (2 3/4 yards) x 150cm (60in) wide OR 3.3m (3 ⅝ yards) x 115cm (45in) wide (less for knee-length version, extra for fabric with a directional print)
- Matching thread
- Your waist measurement in 25mm (1in) wide elastic
- Large safety pin
- For optional belt loops: 14cm (5 1/2in) of 4-7mm (1/8-3/8in) wide ribbon or two elasticated hairbands
- Sewing machine and basic tools