Join Jenny Ambrose to make your first swimsuit in a small group with demonstrations and guidance. Learn how to better handle stretch fabrics, work with elastic and create beautiful edges using a regular sewing machine as well as a serger.
Please read our Covid-19 Safety Measures before booking.
Students will learn step-by-step how to make their swimsuit. We will cover everything you need to know to make a professional looking undergarment using a sewing machine and serger. Here's what we'll cover:
Learn the basic properties of nylon and spandex fabrics
Learn about the different types of elastic
How to construct seams
- Creating details like ruching and ruffles
How to line your swimsuit
Working with a twin needle
What stitches to use when using a regular sewing machine only
How to apply elastics
- Adding hooks and eyes
- Making adjustable straps
*** Please note: This is a beginner swimwear class. It will provide a good starting point for you to make swimwear for yourself, but please note that as with any sewing pattern, you may need additional alterations to achieve a perfect fit for future makes. We will take you as far as we can with those alterations inside of this course. ***
Workshop fee includes:
- 12 hours of instruction time (some homework may be required).
- Pre-class consultation with Jenny to plan your project
The use of our class sewing machines and tools - though we strongly recommend bringing your own machine.
Opportunity to purchase more supplies and kits to make future swimsuits discounted by 20% (before & during the workshop)
Equipment requirements: Please note that we provide a sewing machine for you to use in the studio, but you are more than welcome to bring your machine from home. If you’d like to bring your home machine, please remember to bring the manual (and foot pedal/power cord) and arrive 10 minutes prior to your scheduled time.
- Swimsuit pattern of your choice. You can view our pattern selection here
- Nylon/spandex blend (see your pattern for quantities) You can view our full selection of fabrics here.
- Swimsuit lining - see your pattern for requirements
- Powermesh - see your pattern for requirements
- Swimsuit elastic - see your pattern for widths and quantities
- Findings - (eg. hooks and eyes etc.) - see your pattern for requirements
We offer a 20% student discount on all your supplies for this workshop! You will be sent a code to use online once you've registered for your class!
Skill requirements: This is an intermediate workshop. Previous garment sewing machine experience is required to take this class. If you're not sure which pattern would be best for your sewing level, please reach out and talk to us!
Group size: Maximum 4