Create your own bra during this weekend sewing intensive with Jenny Ambrose, founder of The Makehouse. This class is a great introduction to the world of sewing lingerie!
Students will learn step-by-step how to make the bra. We will cover everything you need to know to make a professional looking undergarment using ONLY a sewing machine!
Check out Jenny's website below to see what she has been up to these days:
Skill Level: Intermediate (Ages 18+)
If you're not sure if your sewing skills are strong enough to take this class, please reach out to us!
As Jenny is a travelling workshop instructor, no make-up classes will be available. Please make sure that you can attend both days in full so you can get the most out of this class.
Skills you will learn include:
- Choosing the correct bra size, with a personalized fitting by Jenny
- Getting to know the basics of lingerie notions, fabrics, and supplies
- Elastic application
- Construction techniques
- Sewing adjustable straps
- Attaching a hook and eye closure
- Finishing techniques to get a professional looking result
10:00 - Meet and Greet + Bra Fitting
10:30- 12:30 - Tracing Patterns + Cutting Fabrics
12:30 - 1:30 - Lunch
1:30 - 5:00 - Bra Construction
10:00 - 12:30 - Bra Construction + Finishing
12:30 - 1:30 - Lunch
1:30 - 5:00 - Construction, fitting and pattern alterations * If time allows you can start your second bra!
(Students of this class will receive a 20% discount on supplies purchased from The Makehouse)
Jenny will provide you with elastics to practise with but you will need to supply all the necessary fabric and notions for your bra. Please purchase your pattern and supplies before the start of the workshop as we need all the time we have to work on your bras!
- Bra fabric (duoplex and powernet)
- Bra findings (refer to pattern for findings list)
- 2 x spool of coordinating quality polyester thread
- 1 set of underwires (you can purchase these on the second day as you will have the opportunity to test out which wires work best in your bra)
(Please do not use black thread on black fabric/findings for your first bra as it makes it very challenging when you're trying to learn!)
Other things you need for this workshop:
- Machine needles: Stretch size 75/11 and Microtex
- Sharp pins and clips (if you have clips)
- Fabric marking pen (one that washes out or disappears with heat)
- Sharp scissors/rotary cutter
- Sewing mat and weights
- Pattern tracing paper
- Thread (Mettler or Gutermann *no "cheap" threads, please)
Equipment needed: You will need to bring your own sewing machine to this workshop. Please make sure that your machine has a zigzag stitch!
The first bra you make is not likely to be the "perfect fit". This course is your stepping stone into the world of bra-making and we strongly encourage you to make another right after the course finishes using your fit feedback and pattern changes.
Group size: Maximum 6 guests to keep our classes cozy and fun!