Make Your Own Zero Waste Fabric
Create your own original fabric piece in this one part workshop. We’re inspired by the designer Zero Waste Daniel featured in this video below. Join us on our mission to reduce waste in Victoria and Vancouver Island!
In this workshop you will learn:
- Learn the basic properties of woven and knit fabrics
- Cutting techniques using a rotary blade and matt
- Introduction to the serger
- Stitches to use when sewing knits on a regular sewing machine
- How to piece together your fabric and re-cut to get new shapes and patterns
- How to decide what to do with your newly designed fabric!
Skill requirements: Previous sewing experience required. You must be able to confidently operate a sewing machine to take part in this workshop.
Material requirements: You will need to bring a bag of fabric scraps and we will enhance the selection with studio off-cuts We provide the serger thread, but you will need one spool of matching polyester thread for any work done on the sewing machine.
Patterns will be available for purchase at the end of the workshop at a discount.
Equipment requirements: Please note that we provide a sewing machine for you to use in the studio, but you are more than welcome to bring your machine from home. If you’d like to bring your home machine, please remember to bring the manual (and foot pedal/power cord) and arrive 10 minutes prior to the scheduled time.
Group size: We like to keep our workshops cozy and fun, so attendance is limited to 8 guests.
SKILL LEVEL – INTERMEDIATE