Sew your own tee-shirt!
Create your own tee-shirt in the length, style and colour of your choice. Pattern options available for men, woman and children.
In this workshop you will learn:
- Learn the basic properties of knit fabrics
- How to trace a pattern
- Cutting techniques for knits using a rotary blade and matt
- Introduction to the serger & coverstitch machine
- Stitches to use when sewing knits on a regular sewing machine
- Hemming techniques using a sewing machine and coverstitch machine
- Techniques for sewing a patch pockets with knit fabrics
- Create cuffs and collars for practical finishing and to add contrast
- Construction techniques for sewing knit garments
Skill requirements: Previous sewing experience required. You must be able to confidently operate a sewing machine to take part in this workshop.
Material requirements: You will need to purchase your knit fabric before the workshop. We love working with bamboo, cotton, modal and Merino wool as opposed to synthetic fabrics, which can often be more slippery to handle. We provide the serger thread, but you will need one spool of matching polyester thread for any work done on the sewing machine.
We will be in touch once you’ve registered to discuss fabric requirements. If you purchase fabrics through The Makehouse or Gala Fabrics you will receive a 20% discount!
We recommend bringing in a tee-shirt that you already love to help get the best fit possible!
Patterns will be available for purchase at the end of the workshop at a discount.
Equipment requirements: Please note that we provide a sewing machine for you to use in the studio, but you are more than welcome to bring your machine from home. If you’d like to bring your home machine, please remember to bring the manual (and foot pedal/power cord) and arrive 10 minutes prior to the scheduled time.
Group size: We like to keep our workshops cozy and fun, so attendance is limited to 6 guests.
Once you’ve completed this workshop – you can take advantage of our open studio time to use the serger!
SKILL LEVEL – INTERMEDIATE