Workshop Pattern: The Strathcona Henley by Thread Theory
If you’ve never used a serger or if you need a refresher, this class will get you going and help to build confidence. We will also give you options for getting the best results with knits on a regular sewing machine!
This modern, slim-fitting t-shirt pattern is a wardrobe staple that can be sewn up with a crew-neck or a 1” henley placket and long or short sleeves. It suits both fine or medium weight knits to create either a shirt or light sweater. The sleeves and hem can be turned and hemmed or finished with bands (a great option for beginner sewers!).
Instructions for sewing with knits are thorough and include finishing suggestions, step-by-step illustrations and both beginner or intermediate sewing options.
This pattern is a modern slim-fitting design with athletic sizing. It is a classic garment that lends itself to creating the perfect casual, hand-made wardrobe for an active lifestyle. This pattern is unisex and therefore this workshop would suit men or women making for themselves or someone else!
- Introduction to working with knitted fabrics
- Pattern marking & information
- Measuring, pinning & cutting
- Introduction to the serger, sewing techniques for handling knits & practice time
- Garment Construction
- How to create the placket
- Finishing Techniques (hems & cuffs)
- Creating buttonholes & using the snap tool
A printed copy of the Strathcona Henley pattern by Thread Theory is included for each student (retail value $24).
Paper Sewing Pattern Includes:
- A tissue copy of the pattern in sizes XS to XL
- A 16 page staple bound illustrated instruction booklet (lays flat while sewing!)
- An embroidered Thread Theory garment tag
- A chip board pattern folder with string closure – simple to use and sturdy enough to store your patterns for years to come
The Makehouse and Gala Fabrics both offer a 20% student discount on fabrics. We recommend a bamboo, cotton, or Merino wool knits for this project.
Maximum of 6 students so you will receive plenty of 1-1 instruction.
Prerequisite: No previous serger machine experience is required for this class, but you must have recent experience using a regular sewing machine.
Instructor: Jenny Ambrose
Fee includes taxes.
We encourage you to bring snacks as it’s much easier to be creative when you have fuel for the brain! We provide herbal teas.